“SERENGETI” as traveling destination for `Adventure, Family Trip`
The Serengeti in Tanzania is synonymous with Adventure and Family Trips!
Derived from a Maasai phrase “siringet” meaning “endless plains”, Serengeti is in northern Tanzania- The Serengeti National Park covers a whooping 5,700 square miles approx (14,763 sq km) of area and is a protected national park. But Serengeti extends beyond this to roughly 18,600 sq miles (30,000 sq km) and includes several other game reserves and parks, notably the Ngorongoro Conservation Area and Kenya’s Masai Mara National Park.
The great Serengeti area is roughly defined by the wildebeest migration route.
Here is what makes Serengeti a great traveling destination for Adventures and Family Trips:
- It one of the most famous national parks in Africa and offers some of the most amazing wildlife viewing in the world. It is also one of the “Seven Natural Wonders of Africa” and one of the “Ten Natural Travel Wonders of the World” for being the site of the largest terrestrial mammal migration in the world (about 2 million animals!).
- It has the densest lion population in the world and is home to all members of the Big Five and almost 500 bird species.
- It will be your dream of an African safari with its amazing array of wildlife, wide and large golden plains with thorny umbrella acacia trees, kopjes, sausage trees, crocodile and hippo-filled rivers.
- There is so much to do there to watch the wildlife!
- You could go for daytime game drives
- Head out for walking safaris
- Select to go for night drives
- Take a horse ride safari
- A hot air balloon view
- Or even hop on to a plane
- There is a ton load other activities especially to take children to! It is truly a family adventure: There is education and cultural activities such as visiting a local Maasai village and having a great time educating oneself about the important paleoanthropological findings at Oldupai Gorge.
- Besides the Tanzanian Serengeti if you were to extend your stay, you could always factor into your travel that Serengeti extends to south-western Kenya and is known as Maasai Mara. Maasai Mara has an exceptional population of Masai lions, African leopards and Tanzanian cheetahs, and is famously known for the annual migration of zebra, Thomson’s gazelle, and wildebeest to and from the Serengeti every year from July to October, during the Great Migration.
- The southeastern area of Serengeti lies in the rain shadow of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area’s highlands. A unique space, this is also exceptionally fantastic.
The whole of Serengeti or even in parts depending on where you wish to visit is sure to take your breath away!